Monday, December 22, 2008

12-19-08

Why am I choking back tears? I have spent the last five months gleeful about my opportunity to study abroad. Now, at the airport, as I embrace my closest loved ones I am overcome with emotion. Goodbye Charlie, my ever loyal companion. Goodbye Mom, goodbye Dad, Justin, Keith. Goodbye Chantelle, my lover, my friend. Goodbye friends. Goodbye to the familiar and hello to whatever may come. I hesitate while leaving because I know I will miss what will soon be out of reach, but leaving is what I want. This is not a goodbye! This is I’ll see you later, but it’s going to be a couple minutes. No matter; onward I trek towards an uneventful three hour wait and around 20 hours on airplanes going this way and that. As I board my flight, bound for Singapore through Japan, I sit and reminisce. I think about exactly where I’m at; near the back seat of an airplane, bound by gravity on a planet in the middle of nothing, but my center for everything. Twenty feet to my right, the sounds of an engine serves to remind me of the cat and mouse game about to begin between the coming night and the approaching day. While the plane begins to lift I take a lasting look behind me at the Seattle skyline. The Columbia tower stubbornly fades from view and once again acts as the pronounced lookout for the coming night. Behind me I leave more than a view. I leave a December setting with my family, friends and loved ones. I leave Christmas morning exchanging gifts around the tree. I leave a dinner setting and the chance to exchange pleasantries with those most important to me. This year, however, I will get a different view for the season. After 23 years of practice, I will miss the habitual routines that have become so familiar. And during those familiar routines what will everyone do? What will everyone get this year? Will they enjoy my gifts? Hell, what’s for dinner? I must admit that I already feel isolated, but I do not feel lonely. I am eager to embrace and make the most of the coming opportunities. One of which will be my next entry. I will keep you all up to date…

3 comments:

  1. we miss you as well friend. the holidays are not going to be the same without you. please keep the updates coming, i'm vacationing vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chad,
    Mt. Fuji is beautiful, must have been great with the sun on it. We still have 10 inches of snow and 5 more expected today and Christmas. How warm is it there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. feels like it's 80 degrees and ahundo on the humidity scale. Everyone uses celsius though so I'm just guessing. I don't stop sweating at any point in the day though. Camera is up and running so I'll be posting pictures very soon!

    ReplyDelete